Sandy's Excellent Israel Adventure

Sunday, May 19, 2013


Jason's mom Sandy is visiting us for 2 weeks. We asked her to write a guest blog post about her experience in Israel. Here's what she had to say...

I’ve been here visiting Jason & Rebecca since May 6 and will be leaving on May 21.  I cannot express what an incredible and inspiring time I have had.   Thanks to Jason & Rebecca’s great planning and Rebecca’s uncanny sense of direction and map reading, I feel like I’ve had my own personal tour guides.  

Jason and Rebecca at Caeserea

We’ve traveled by foot, bus, train, light rail, taxi and a rented car to see 3,000+ years of history of the world!  We’ve visited Haifa, the Old City in Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, a Druze village, Akko, Caesarea, Ein Hod, Zichron Ya’acov, Michmoret, Afula, Nazareth,and Zippori. 


Dome of the Rock and the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem

Yad Vashem

Mosaic in Zippori

At those towns I’ve seen universities, shuks (markets), magnificent ancient ruins, churches (Church of Holy Sepulchre, Monastery of the Cross, Church of Annunciation) Tower of David (with bullet holes), The Wailing Wall, emotional Holocaust museum, wineries, artist colonies, gorgeous Mediterranean beaches, incredible fortresses, ancient  mosaic floors, coliseums,  birthplace of the Mishnah (Talmud), miles of banana & orange orchards, and must have climbed 5,000 steps to get there!!

Jason and Sandy in Akko

I still cannot believe I was sitting in a pizza restaurant in Jerusalem with my brother Gary, and for the first time had a chance to meet his sons Mordechai and wife Orly and their adorable 7-month old son; and his son Yisrael and his wife Ariella. 

Mordechai, Gary, Jason, Rebecca, and Sandy

I have eaten falafel (which I love) and hummus (served with tons of side dishes) at Arab restaurants; Israeli salad which consists of tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, olive oil & lemon (and herbs); halvah, baklavah, Turkish coffee, fabulous olives, pita bread, dates, dates and more dates!  

Baklavah!!!

A 5-kilo (11 lbs) box of dates!!!

I have enjoyed visiting with my niece Sharon, Akiva and their 4 kids, cousin Cookie & David, awesome conversation with Israeli soldier on a bus from Jerusalem to Haifa, Jason’s unforgettable professor and advisor Ehud & partner Bat-Sheva, and many Americans. 

Israeli soldier and Arab Muslim
crossing a street in Jerusalem

It was important that I visit my Aunt Faggie’s gravesite, and with Rebecca & Jason’s help, we not only found the cemetery, we also found her house and walked on the beach across the street from her house!  

Aunt Faggie's house in Michmoret

This has been a trip of a lifetime, and it has changed my life!!

A visit to the Wailing Wall (the Kotel)


No comments:

Post a Comment