Hag Sameach (Happy Holidays)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

By: Jason

We are in the thick of the high-holidays in Israel.  A series of events, virtually back-to-back, starts with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year and transitions a week later into Yom Kippur (YK), the Day of Atonement and the most solemn holiday on the Jewish calendar.  Following Yom Kippur is Sukkot, or the harvest holiday and is most commonly represented by the building of small decorative huts called Sukkahs.  These structures symbolize the dwellings that Jews used throughout their several decades spent wandering in the dessert.  In addition to eating meals and sleeping in the Sukkah (if possible), it is traditional to eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, sing, dance, and just hang out.  I hope to do some more of this as the holiday continues here in Israel.  Two other holidays, Shimini Atzeret and Simchat Torah, follow Sukkot and complete the cycle of the high-holidays.

A variety of Sukkah huts (thanks Wikipedia)

YK, a particularly difficult holiday, is spent primarily in synagogue fasting, and contemplating one’s deeds throughout the year and how one can strive to do better for themselves and the world.  One might equate this to making New Year’s resolutions, but it’s a bit more formal than that.  For my very first YK in Israel, I decided to try a neighborhood synagogue (shul, in Yiddish) a few doors down from me, seeing that virtually everything is shut down, and there were no plans for this holiday to be with any close family or friends. 

I was surprised how few people were there, but I was elated to find out that I was the 10th man thereby completing the ‘minyan’ (in most synagogues you need at least 10 men to be able to initiate the prayer services).  This was the case for the rest of the holiday and for over 12 total hours I stayed put realizing that my presence made a difference.  Turns out, it was an exceptionally meaningful YK for me since I knew that I was helping out others and myself at the same time.  I think this is an astoundingly important attribute to Judaism – the community aspect.  Although it was a solemn and quiet service, I had a lot of time to improve my Hebrew and simply sit and contemplate.  And yes, I also thought a lot about food! 

One thing about the Jewish holidays is that the foods do not disappoint.  Specialty meats, fresh baked breads, including round challah, and in Israel especially, an amazing assortment of fresh (and mostly local) fruits and vegetables.  Of course the tradition of eating apples with honey leaves no doubt that we wish all a healthy and sweet new year.  L’shana Tova!! 

Indelible symbols for the New Year:
wine, honey, a candle, and a juicy
pomegranate (not so easy to eat!).

No comments:

Post a Comment