The Great and Powerful Oz

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

By: Jason

After a long day in the field (see previous post) I came home to get cleaned up. A hot shower felt great, but I decided to take a short nap. Not 5 minutes into my slumber, my phone rang loudly.

Jason: "Shalom?"
Caller: "Hi Jason, this is Oz. I have a lobster for you."
Jason: "Who, who is this?"
Caller: "Dr. Oz" (not the one on American TV)
Jason: "Oz? Oh, right, sure that's great."
Oz: "I bring it over to your house. We go to University. I drop you off."
Jason: "Oh...okay. Call me when you are on the way." 
Click.

This was obviously a big surprise, but I was elated to have another lobster for my research. However, I was exhausted and not looking forward to making the trek back and forth to the University. I started to think of how I could keep the lobster at home for the night instead. Then it hit me, eureka! I happen to have a battery powered air pump, a bucket, and nice cool spot on the balcony. I think this might work. I just hoped the lobster was in good shape. 

Two hours later...

Dr. Oz calls. I meet him on the street with the bucket and some cash (yes, I still had to pay for the lobster). He motions at me to unstrap a bucket from the back of his pickup truck complete with salt water (now I'm set) and one very large and feisty slipper lobster. I'm hurrying because the truck is blocking traffic, but Oz seems unconcerned, chatting with my neighbor who he apparently knows from school. I hand him the money - there's not even any time to make change - and he drives off. Mission accomplished. 

The lobster was quite happy on the porch overnight and made it to University in one piece the next morning. You never know when you're going to need a bucket, sea water, and an air pump!

Oz the lobster

No comments:

Post a Comment